An iPhone 7 ‘exploded’ with a loud bang after it was left to charge on a bedside table, it has been claimed.
The four-month-old device was blown in half and blackened by the alleged explosion.
But it is unclear whether the explosion was caused by the device, the phone charger or a problem with the power supply.
Phone owner Yin, from from Suqian City in East China’s Jiangsu Province, said: ‘My phone ran out of battery, so I left it to charge on my bedside table.
‘I went out for a walk and heard the explosion when I came home.
‘Then I realised it was my phone.’
Yin took her Matte Black iPhone 7, which she bought for $781, to an official Apple repair shop.
Repairers said it was likely that the lithium-ion polymer battery inside her phone exploded and caused the device to rip apart.
No one was injured by the incident.
In February, a video emerged on Twitter of an iPhone 7 appearing to melt and smoke in its case.
The footage has raised concerns that Apple could be facing the same issues as Samsung, whose Galaxy Note 7 devices were recalled after several were reported to explode.