Saudi: Oil exports resumed after botched terror attack

Top oil exporter Saudi Arabia said on Saturday it has resumed all oil shipments through the strategic Red Sea shipping lane of Bab al-Mandeb.

Saudi Arabia halted temporarily oil shipments through the lane on July 25 after attacks on two oil tankers by Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthi movement.

A statement by the Energy Ministry said shipments had resumed on Saturday.

“The decision to resume oil shipment through the strait of Bab al-Mandeb was made after the leadership of the coalition has taken necessary measures to protect the coalition states’ ships,” Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih said in the ministry statement.

Saudi Aramco confirmed that shipping had resumed effective immediately.

“The company is careful to continue monitoring and evaluating the current situation in coordination with the relevant bodies and take all necessary procedures to ensure safety,” Aramco said in a statement.

Last month Saudi Arabia took the extraordinary measure of temporarily halting oil shipments via the Bab Al-Mandeb Strait, a key shipping lane for crude at the southern tip of the Red Sea, after a botched terror attack on its oil tanker by Iranian-backed Houthi militias.

A senior Arab Coalition official reaffirmed on Friday tremendous efforts being exerted in order to ensure the security of the Bab Al-Mandeb Strait and southern Red Sea waters.

The official said that Saudi-led Coalition forces have stepped in to secure the vital waterway despite it embodying an international and regional responsibility.

 

Source Credit: Saudi Gazette

 

Comments

comments

- Advertisement -