Abu Dhabi’s week-long movement restrictions to, from and within the emirate have been implemented in order to ensure that the maximum number of residents in the emirate are screened for the coronavirus, the emirate’s top health official has said.
In a statement released on social media, Sheikh Abdulla bin Mohammed Al Hamed, chairman at the Department of Health (DoH), said mass testing is a key to Abu Dhabi’s fight against COVID-19.
The movement will be restricted to and from Abu Dhabi, and within its Abu Dhabi, Al Ain and Al Dhafra regions, for a week from today (Tuesday).
At the same time, the emirate today opened up hotel beaches, museums and sports activities for residents aged 12 to 60 years, and now also allows for dining in mall-based and standalone restaurants up to 40 per cent of their capacity. This is the first time since March that residents will be able to pursue outdoor leisure activities.
Abu Dhabi launched the National Screening Programme last month, which aims to test, for free, as many people as possible for the coronavirus. The initiative kicked off in Musaffah, the capital’s industrial area that is densely populated, and it is now also targeting residents in other high-density areas of the emirate.
In addition, certain groups of people are also automatically eligible for free screenings, including older residents, pregnant women, Emiratis and those with chronic conditions.