Philippines: The government has prepared repatriation and quick-response programs for overseas Filipino workers in the Middle East should tensions in the region escalate in the coming days, Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said Saturday.
“There is no need to be alarmed at this point but if the situation escalates, we can be expected to respond and lead our kababayans out of harm’s way,” Cayetano said in a statement. He added that the DFA is monitoring situations in Saudi Arabia, Lebanon and Iraq.
Last week, Saudi Arabia, where almost a million Filipinos work, intercepted a ballistic missile over Riyadh. The DFA said it is “also monitoring the Kurdistan Region, host to 3,000 Filipino workers, after tensions flared between Baghdad and Erbil in the aftermath of an independence referendum in the region.”
Source Credit: ABS-CBN News
Read full story: http://bit.ly/2i33rGc