A virus similar to the SARS pathogen has killed a lot of people and has spread around the world since its emergence in the central Chinese city of Wuhan. Last Thursday(30 January 2020), China’s National Health Commission said 7,711 people had been infected by the novel coronavirus. Outside China, there have been at around 100 infections reported.
Here are the places that have confirmed cases of the 2019 novel coronavirus:
Around 7,700 people have been infected across China, the majority in and around Wuhan. Most of the 170 who have died were in that region, but officials have confirmed multiple deaths elsewhere, including the first in the capital Beijing.
Eight patients have been now been confirmed in Australia – six who arrived in the country from Wuhan — and are being treated in hospitals in Sydney, Melbourne and Gold Coast. The other two cases confirmed last week, a 42-year-old woman and a 44-year-old man both from Wuhan, are stable and isolated at the Gold Coast University Hospital.
In Hong Kong, 10 people are known to have the disease. Of those, six arrived via a newly built high-speed train terminal that connects the city to the Chinese mainland.
Last week, officials confirmed the first case in Kerala, southern India. The woman, a student at Wuhan University, is in isolation at a hospital. Authorities said she is stable and is being closely monitored.
Japan’s health authorities confirmed last week that they had registered 14 cases, including two cases of human-to-human transmission. The driver and tour guide of a bus carrying visitors from Wuhan were both infected despite not having recently visited China.
Macau, a gambling hub hugely popular with Chinese mainland tourists, had confirmed seven cases as of Tuesday.
Malaysia confirmed a new case Thursday, bringing the total to eight. All are Chinese nationals, according to the ministry of health’s director-general.
Nepal said a 32-year-old man arriving from Wuhan had the disease. He was initially quarantined, but recovered and was discharged.
The Philippines reported its first case of the virus on Thursday, a 38-year-old woman who arrived from Wuhan and is no longer showing symptoms. She came to the Philippines on January 21, sought medical help four days later and was admitted to hospital for testing.
Singapore has confirmed 13 cases, all arrivals from Wuhan.
South Korea on Thursday confirmed two more cases of the deadly SARS-like virus, bringing the total number to six. Among the six, five of them travelled from Wuhan, Seoul authorities said. But one of the two newly confirmed individuals was diagnosed after being in contact with the nation’s third confirmed patient in the South, they added.
Sri Lanka confirmed its first case last week- a 43-year-old Chinese tourist from Hubei province.
Taiwan has uncovered eight cases so far, including two female Chinese nationals in their 70s who arrived in the country as a part of a tour group.
Thailand has announced 14 confirmed infections – the highest number outside China. Health officials said that among the six new cases, all were Chinese visitors from Wuhan and five of them belonged to the same family aging between six and 70.
Hanoi confirmed three new cases of the virus last week, all Vietnamese citizens who had returned from the Chinese city of Wuhan, raising the overall number reported to five.
Canada has confirmed two cases so far, and is calling a third case “presumptive”, meaning officials are awaiting final confirmation of the results from the national laboratory.
The United States
The United States has confirmed five cases in patients who had recently arrived from Wuhan, two in California and one each in Arizona, Illinois, and Washington.
A tourist from Wuhan tested positive for the virus on Wednesday and was being treated in isolation in hospital, officials said.
There are five known cases in France, the first European country to be affected. The most recent is the daughter of an elderly Chinese tourist who is in serious condition in hospital, officials said.
Germany now has four confirmed cases, including the first of human-to-human transmission on European soil – a 33-year-old man who fell ill after attending a training session hosted by a visiting Chinese colleague. All four patients are in isolation in a Munich hospital.
The United Arab Emirates
UAE health officials said last week that a Chinese family of four had all tested positive for the virus after arriving from Wuhan several days ago.