Dubai: 10 Years Prison For Expat Couple Who Tortured Mother To Death

The Fourth High Criminal Court sentenced four defendants to 6 months in jail.
- Advertisement -

A man and his wife on trial for torturing and starving the man’s mother to death were each sentenced to 10 years in jail, a Dubai court heard on Wednesday.

The 29-year-old defendant and his 28-year-old wife, both Indian, tortured the man’s mother inside their Al Ghusais residence, starving the victim until she weighed just 29kg because she wasn’t looking after her granddaughter.

According to Dubai Court of First Instance, the couple tortured the victim from July 2018, until her death in October 2018. They have been both been ordered with deportation following their jail term.

An Indian neighbour testified that she met the wife in the building and she had told her that her mother-in-law had come from India to look after their daughter, but she neglected the child and wasn’t changing the girl’s nappies, which caused the girl to become ill.

READ  Dubai Introduces New 'Residency' Visa In 40 Minutes

“After a few days, I was in the laundry area when I saw the elderly woman looking miserable and pitiful,” said the neighbour. “There were signs of burns on her body as she was wearing a sari. I asked her what happened but she refused to answer and left,” added the neighbour.

Soon after, the neighbour reported the woman’s condition to the building’s security guard who searched every apartment to find out where the woman was staying. When they reached the defendants’ flat they found the victim laying on the floor.

READ  New Laws to Test Driverless Vehicles on UAE Roads

A paramedic testified that the man didn’t even walk his mother to the ambulance and was watching from far when she was transferred to the vehicle.

The woman was transferred to Rashid Hospital but she died a month later.

According to a forensic report, the man’s mother, who was in her 50s, suffered multiple burns and broken bones as a result of sustained torture and physical assault. She was only 29-kg when she arrived at the hospital and reports confirmed that she had been starved, tortured and neglected for months leading up to her death.

The verdict will be subject for appeal within 15 days.


- Advertisement -