Kuwait: OFW Maid Killed; ‘Partial’ Deployment Ban Takes Effect

- Advertisement -

A ban prohibiting Philippine domestic workers from travelling to Kuwait came into effect on Friday after a maid was allegedly killed by her employers.

The ban following Jeanelyn Villavende’s death exempts skilled workers or Filipinos who are already in Kuwait for work, Labour Secretary Silvestre Bello said in a statement announcing the ban.

The Philippine Embassy in Kuwait reported that Villavende had been beaten repeatedly and was already dead when she was brought to the hospital.

The exact date of her death is unknown as the results of the autopsy were pending, but her employers have been arrested as the primary suspects in the case.

READ  Kuwait: Special Health Insurance Fees Cancelled For Dependents

Bello said the government would also investigate the Philippine recruitment agency involved for its inaction, as Villaverde had reportedly asked to be repatriated in September, complaining of maltreatment and non-payment of the agreed salary.

- Advertisement -

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of