Christian leaders in Kuwait have said that the churches in the country will remain closed due to the spread of the novel coronavirus.
On Wednesday, mosques in Kuwait were reopened for congregation prayers, except for the Friday prayers, about three months after they were shut down to contain the virus incidence. The Friday prayers are held only inside the Grand Mosque in Kuwait City with the participation of its employees and broadcast live on the state television.
Father Afram Al Taemi, the pastor of the Roman Orthodox Church, said that the church remains closed until the Friday Muslim prayers are officially permitted. “We’ll wait until the ministries of Awqaf and health take the proper decision in this respect to protect health of all citizens and residents in Kuwait,” he told Kuwaiti newspaper Al Anba.
Meanwhile, Father Emanuel Gharib, the pastor of the National Evangelical Church, said the site may reopen next week or the week after due to the current health situation.
There are more than 500,000 local and foreign Christians in Kuwait.
Earlier this month, Kuwait started implementing a phased plan allowing the gradual return to normal life after a lockdown prompted by an outbreak of the new coronavirus.