Kuwait’s partial curfew will be reduced to six hours, from 9pm to 3am as of Tuesday, a top official said on Thursday. The move is part of the government’s phase 3 of its efforts to ease coronavirus-related restrictions and reopen the economy.
The announcement was made by government spokesperson Tareq Al Mezrem on his twitter account. In the third phase, government and private sector employees will resume work at the capacity of 50 per cent of staff. Hotels, resorts and hotel apartments will also reopen.
This is part of a five-phase plan to gradually return to normal life.
The Gulf country said it would enter “phase three” of its coronavirus restrictions on July 28, enabling taxis to operate and resorts as well as hotels to re-open.
In addition, all mosques would be open for Eid Al Adha prayers, the Center for Government Communication (CGC) said on Twitter. Muslims expect the holiday to begin on July 31. Until now, only some mosques had been allowed to operate.
The curfew put in place to limit the spread of the virus will begin an hour later at 9 pm and end two hours earlier at 3 am, it said. The decision will be reviewed by the cabinet after the Eid Al Adha break.
The cabinet also decided to end the isolation of the Farwaniya district on Sunday. It is the last isolated area in the country, which has recorded 61,872 coronavirus infections, and 421 deaths.