Oman’s plans to scrap the No Objection Certificate (NOC) system early next year will be a significant development in the country’s labour policy, according to Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr Al Busaidi.
Speaking at the 16th IISS Manama Dialogue in Bahrain, Sayyid Badr said removing the age-old NOC policy is part of Oman’s 2040 vision that will open-up the Sultanate’s economy. “A significant development in labour policy which in the next few weeks will include the abolishment of the No Objection Certificates system,” he said.
Sayyid Badr also informed the country’s plans to offer visa-free for citizens of more than 100 countries. “We have plans to extend visa-free arrival for 30 days for citizens of more than 100 countries which will boost our travel and tourism sector,” he added.
Earlier this year, Oman said it will remove the NOC on January 1, 2021, clearing the way for expat employees in the country to switch jobs. The new rule applies to expat workers who have finished their contracts, whether they are based in Oman or outside the country.