Philippine health officials have confirmed the first case of the new novel coronavirus in the country.
A 38-year-old Chinese woman, who arrived in the country from Wuhan, China, on Jan. 21, tested positive for the novel coronavirus, Health Secretary Francisco Duque told a news conference.
Duque said the patient, confined in a government hospital, is currently asymptomatic.
The Department of Health had earlier put 23 people under investigation for 2019-nCoV after they showed flu-like symptoms.
Seventeen of them are in Metro Manila, including a man infected with HIV who died of pneumonia. Two are in Central Visayas, and there is one person under investigation each in Mimaropa, Western Visayas, Eastern Visayas and Davao.
The virus has spread in countries including Thailand, South Korea, Japan, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, the United States, Canada, France, Germany, Sri Lanka and Australia.