Qatar’s Mandatory COVID-19 Tracing App Faces Privacy Backlash

A man wearing a protective mask checks his phone as he walks by at Qatar's touristic Souq Waqif bazar in the capital Doha. Image Credit: AFP
- Advertisement -

Privacy concerns over Qatar’s coronavirus contact tracing app, a tool that requires mandatory installation, have prompted backlash and forced officials to offer reassurance and concessions.

Like other governments around the world, Qatar has turned to mobile phones to trace people’s movements and track who they come into contact with, allowing officials to monitor coronavirus infections and alert people at risk of contagion.

The apps use Bluetooth radio signals to “ping” nearby devices, which can be contacted subsequently if a user they have been near develops symptoms or tests positive, but the resultant unprecedented access to users’ location data has prompted fears about state surveillance.

Qatar’s version goes considerably further – it forces Android users to permit access to their picture and video galleries, while also allowing the app to make unprompted calls.

Justin Martin, a journalism professor based in Qatar, warned authorities in a tweet not to “erode” trust by enforcing “an app with such alarming permissions”.

The government launched the “Ehteraz” app, meaning “precaution”, in April and on Friday it became mandatory for all citizens and legal residents to install it on their phones.

READ  Coronavirus Impacts: Will Most Airlines Go Bankrupt?

Non-compliance is punishable by up to three years in jail – the same term as for failing to wear a mask in public – in a state battling one of the world’s highest per capita infection rates.

Almost 44,000 of Qatar’s 2.75 million people have tested positive for the respiratory disease – 1.6 percent of the population – and 23 people have died.

Security forces manned checkpoints across Qatar on Sunday to ensure use of the app, local media reported, alongside checking for use of masks.

Mohammed Bin Hamad Al Thani, a director at Qatar’s health ministry, said that data gathered is “completely confidential”. “There will be an update for the Ehteraz app to address the issues of concern and further improve its efficiency,” he added in an interview on state television on Thursday.

READ  Bahrain Records 438 Coronavirus Cases on June 28

A new version of the software was duly released for Apple and Android on Sunday, promising “minor bug fixes”, but without indicating that the invasive aspects had been removed.

“There are two key concerns… with the app,” said Human Rights Watch researcher Hiba Zayadin.

It “is highly invasive, with a range of permissions allowing the government access to things that are not needed for the purpose of contact tracing, permissions that are unnecessary and present a concerning invasion of privacy.”

But also “many migrant workers in the country don’t have compatible phones that would allow them to download the app and comply”.

“There’s no need for photo access and other things. But it could be a good tool. It is a good way to prioritise whom to test,” technology lawyer Rahul Matthan told AFP.

But “to work, they need a large number of people to use it. If people are dissuaded because of the app’s overreach, then that would be a worry.”

- Advertisement -

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of