Saudi Arabia said it had foiled a plot by an ISIL cell in Riyadh, who planned to launch a suicide attack on the country’s defence ministry.
In a statement released to Saudi’s state press agency, an official from the Presidency of State Security said two militants had been killed and five were arrested during raids on Wednesday in three different locations.
A suicide bomber blew himself up in al-Rimal district to the east of Riyadh after security forces surrounded a house used to create explosives. Another militant armed with firearms was killed by authorities in an apartment the western district of al-Namar.
The statement added that a raid had taken place at a horse stable in al-Ghanamia, to the south of the city, which was being used as headquarters.
Saudi Arabia has witnessed a series of bombings in the past months against Shi’ites and security forces, claimed by ISIL.
The gulf nation is fighting the terror group in Syria and Iraq as part of the US-led international coalition. – The National