Saudi Arabia’s air defences intercepted two ballistic missiles over the capital Riyadh on Wednesday, state television said, the latest in a series of attacks claimed by rebels in neighbouring Yemen.
The assault took place a day after Saudi Arabia’s top Western ally the United States pulled out of a deal with Iran over its disputed nuclear programme and could signal an uptick in tensions between Riyadh and regional rival Tehran.
Col. Turki Al-Malki, spokesman of the Coalition to restore legitimacy in Yemen, said that at 11.29 a.m. on Wednesday the Saudi Royal Air Defense Force intercepted a ballistic missile launched by the Houthi terrorist militia from the Yemeni territory, north of Amran region.
Al-Malki said the forces also spotted another missile that fell 100 km south of Riyadh in an unpopulated desert. No casualty or damage was reported in the incident.
He said that the two missiles were deliberately targeting populated civilian areas in Riyadh city.
Earlier on Wednesday, Royal Saudi Air Defense Forces (RSADF) intercepted a ballistic missile launched by Iranian-backed the Houthi militias from Saada governorate in Yemen toward Jazan city. Col. Malki said these hostile actions by Houthis backed by Iran prove the continuing involvement of the Iranian regime in supporting the militias with qualitative capabilities in a clear violation of UN resolutions.
Also on Wednesday, Houthi militias tried to hit southern Saudi city of Najran after firing a short-range ballistic missile called Badr.
Al-Malki said the missile, launched from a Yemeni territory north of Saada, fell in an uninhabited desert area in the region at 6.42 p.m. and there was no damage reported.
Source Credit: Saudi Gazette