The Saudi National Finals of the Entrepreneurship World Cup (EWC) took place recently, with 14 of the best startups in the kingdom pitching their business ideas at an interactive virtual event.
The overall winner selected by the judges was Talon Dust Control, a company based at Kaust that provides dust control and soil stabilisation solutions to customers in the GCC and Mena regions.
The five other winners were:
- Edama Organic Solutions develops organic waste recycling solutions designed specifically for desert climate conditions.
- BrightSign has developed a smart glove that can translate any form of sign language to any language, to help people with hearing and speech disabilities.
- Upskillable is a people analytics company that helps employers make smart recruitment and people development decisions.
- PereGrine Genomics is a company that leverages big data and advanced analytics, such as artificial intelligence, to deliver accurate and effective healthcare to society on a personalized basis.
- Miqyas is a company that maximizes efficiency for fashion e-commerce companies by giving customers confidence in the accuracy of online sizes.
The event was one of many EWC National Finals taking place around the world. Judges select the top companies from each event, with the winners progressing to the Global Finals that are being held as part of the Misk Global Forum annual gathering from 18-20 October. Overall, this year’s EWC has attracted 174,000 entrants from 200 countries.
As well as progressing to the Global Finals, all six winning Saudi startups each received a cash prize of $50,000. Fifteen thousand Saudi startups applied to take part in the National Finals, and all of them benefitted from free online services provided through the EWC platform.
The core of the event involved the 14 finalists pitching for three minutes each, before answering two minutes of questions from the judges.
The National Finals also featured three live panel discussions during which distinguished entrepreneurship experts explored the event’s theme – Overcoming Challenges: how new businesses can overcome obstacles to achieve success.