UAE Denies Reports Of Explosions At Fujairah Port

The Fujairah Media Office has denied media reports that explosions took place at the Port of Fujairah yesterday (May 12) morning.

Reports in foreign media outlets said the port was rocked by a number of explosions and that numerous tankers had caught fire.

Calling upon the media outlets to be responsible and rely only on official sources before reporting, the Media Office said: “The operations at the Port are going as normal.”

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MOFAIC) has announced that four commercial ships were subjected to sabotage operations near UAE territorial waters in the Gulf of Oman, east of Fujairah, reported Wam.

READ  Bahrain included in top 10 countries for expat women carriers – Report

The Ministry said that the concerned authorities had taken all necessary measures, and were investigating the incident in co-operation with local and international bodies.

It said that there had been no injuries or fatalities on board the vessels and that there had been no spillage of harmful chemicals or fuel, it added.

The MOFAIC statement said that the carrying out acts of sabotage on commercial and civilian vessels and threatening the safety and lives of those on board is a serious development.

READ  Kuwait: 70,000 Road Accidents & 5 Million Traffic violations in 2017

It called upon the international community to assume its responsibilities to prevent such actions by parties attempting to undermine maritime traffic safety and security.

The Ministry also described as ‘baseless and unfounded’ rumours that did the rounds earlier today of incidents taking place within the Port of Fujairah.