UAE: New laws for safety of construction workers
UAE has issued a new decree aimed at enhancing worker safety in construction sites and provide accommodation.
Establishments with 50 or more workers, where the wage of each worker is less than AED1,500 ($408) per month, need to provide labour accommodation. Also construction and industrial workers will not be permitted to work outdoors or in places under the sun from 12:30pm to 3pm starting from June 15 to September 15.
- Industrial establishments and companies with 100 or more employees need to hire a health and safety officer to ensure laborers are protected from various risks in the workplace. The officer will be tasked to ensure safety procedures are being met in construction sites.
- Workers should be provided with safety gear and suitable clothing to protect them from any injuries on site. First aid kits and fire extinguishers shall be placed in construction premises, along with a specialist on site to deliver first aid when needed.
- The decree provides that employers must take all necessary measures to ensure the safety and protection of employees against injuries, diseases or any hazards in the workplace such as sharp objects, explosive or inflammable materials electric circuits and compressed gases.
- Workers are obliged by law to use protective gear and follow instructions at all times after being properly briefed by the employer.
- The new labour law grants employers the right to impose penalties for each worker who violates safety measures at work.