Saudi Arabia

New Global Bird Hotspots Unveiled in Saudi Arabia

The King Salman bin Abdulaziz Royal Reserve Development Authority has officially announced the addition of new globally significant bird areas within its expansive borders, further solidifying its status as one of the world’s largest reserves boasting vital bird habitats.

The authority has successfully designated the Tabarjal and Turaif regions as globally important bird areas, showcasing its commitment to conservation. Additionally, it has broadened its reach to encompass the Aja mountain range, encompassing territories north of Hail, including Hibran, Arnan, and Al-Musma.

This brings the total number of areas recognized by Birdlife International within the royal reserve to five, all holding global significance for bird conservation.

The location of the reserve is considered strategic because it is located between important areas for the presence of birds, especially during the crossing from one place to another, according to Fahad Al-Shuwaier, the official spokesman for the King Salman bin Abdulaziz Royal Reserve.

Al-Shuwaier confirmed to Arab News that the reserve is fertile ground for birds, as it contains important requirements that birds that stay in the region or while they are in it need as they move from one location to another, especially with regard to the availability of food and water, noting that some birds need mountains.

The authority revealed the registration of 290 wild bird species within the reserve, constituting a 58 percent of the total bird species documented in the Kingdom, totaling 499 species. According to the authority’s statement, this substantial percentage underscores the royal reserve’s pivotal role in providing habitats for both resident and migratory wild bird species, underscoring the importance of its location and diverse habitats in attracting a wide array of bird species.

Strategically positioned along major global bird migration routes, the King Salman bin Abdulaziz Royal Reserve has become a critical resting point for migratory birds traversing continents. Migratory birds dominate the reserve, comprising 88 percent of the total bird species recorded, while resident birds make up the remaining 12 percent. This ecological balance underscores the reserve’s strategic significance as a primary rest area for migratory birds, contributing significantly to the preservation of biodiversity in the region.

According to the statement, despite the considerable biodiversity within the royal reserve, 25 bird species, both resident and migratory, find themselves on the global Red List of threatened species. This underscores the urgency of conservation efforts to safeguard these endangered species and contribute to their reproduction, playing a crucial role in fostering global biodiversity.


Arab News

Related Articles

Back to top button